Oblivion

“ Mia wake up baby, wake up, daddy’s home”, Mum is screaming at me with tears streaming down her splotched cheeks. I tell her over and over again that I’m right here, but she either she can’t hear me or she pretends not to. I just want her to stop crying.
I’m Mia, and I have been suffering from terminal leukaemia for the past year and things just started getting serious a few months ago. I've been in the hospital from then with all sorts of appliances and doctors hovering over me.
Today morning I woke up feeling strangely painless and numb and then I slowly realized I could get up from the bed I was caged to, and when I did that I saw me lying on the bed, and that was when it dawned on me, I was dead, dead without a care in the world, dead and rid of cancer, dead and leaving all people behind, dead without my family……………just dead. The weird thing is that it was quite peaceful, but somewhere in my head I felt a timer ticking, like a sense of urgency was tugging at me, but I couldn’t walk any faster than any normal human being, though in most cases ghosts are depicted with light speed.
I waited a while and Mom came running to see me.....well my body and started screaming about her baby. Dad looked like he was about to have a breakdown, the doctors and nurses looked sympathetic. A day later I was bundled up in white in a coffin, and taken to the church where many people put flowers on me, cried over me, told others about what a wonderful person I was before the wretched disease took hold of me. I started wondering how many of these people with amazing eulogies actually cared about me.Were they just here for the sake of formality or were they actually sad about me dying?? Finally, I reached a point where I couldn’t resist the pull anymore and caved in like a bunny craving carrots and suddenly everything exploded around me and I started seeing rings in my vision as I left the Earth and disappeared into oblivion, I just hope she stops crying.............

Comments

Popular Posts